Standing Calf Raise
This exercise involves standing on a raised surface with the balls of your feet and lifting your heels up as high as possible, then lowering them back down. It primarily targets the calf muscles and can be done with bodyweight or added resistance.
Standing Calf Raise Instructions
- Stand on a raised surface such as a step or block with the balls of your feet on the edge and your heels hanging off.
- Hold onto a stable surface such as a wall or railing for balance.
- Raise your heels as high as possible, lifting your body weight onto the balls of your feet.
- Hold for a few seconds at the top of the movement.
- Lower your heels back down below the level of the step or block.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Standing Calf Raise Form & Visual
Standing Calf Raise Benefits
- Stretches the hips, glutes, and lower back
- Improves balance and stability
- Strengthens the legs and core
- Relieves tension in the lower body
- Can help alleviate sciatica pain
Standing Calf Raise Muscles Worked
Standing Calf Raise Variations & Alternatives