Donkey Calf Raise
This exercise involves standing on the edge of a raised surface with the balls of your feet, while keeping your heels hanging off the edge. Then, you lower your heels down as far as possible and raise them back up, using only your calf muscles. This exercise targets and strengthens the calf muscles.
Donkey Calf Raise Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and place the balls of your feet on a raised surface such as a step or block.
- Hold onto a stable surface such as a wall or railing for balance.
- Slowly raise your heels off the ground as high as you can, keeping your legs straight.
- Pause at the top of the movement and squeeze your calf muscles.
- Lower your heels back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Donkey Calf Raise Form & Visual
Donkey Calf Raise Benefits
- Targets the soleus muscle in the calf, which is important for ankle stability and balance
- Can be done with minimal equipment, making it a convenient exercise to do at home or while traveling
- Helps to improve overall calf strength and size
- Can be easily modified by adding weight or changing the angle of the foot placement
- May help to prevent injuries such as ankle sprains by strengthening the muscles around the ankle joint
Donkey Calf Raise Muscles Worked
Donkey Calf Raise Variations & Alternatives
- Single-leg Donkey Calf Raise
- Weighted Donkey Calf Raise
- Donkey Calf Raise on a Smith Machine
- Seated Donkey Calf Raise
- Donkey Calf Raise with Resistance Bands