This exercise involves lying on your side and propping yourself up on your forearm, lifting your hips off the ground to engage your core and strengthen your obliques. It is a great exercise for improving stability and preventing lower back pain.
Side Bridge Instructions
- Start by lying on your side with your elbow directly under your shoulder and your legs straight.
- Lift your hips off the ground, creating a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds, or as long as you can maintain proper form.
- Lower your hips back down to the ground and repeat on the other side.
- Complete 2-3 sets on each side.
Side Bridge Form & Visual
Side Bridge Benefits
- Strengthens the oblique muscles
- Improves core stability and balance
- Helps prevent lower back pain
- Increases hip and glute strength
- Improves posture and alignment
Side Bridge Muscles Worked
- Transverse Abdominis
- Gluteus Medius
- Quadratus Lumborum
Side Bridge Variations & Alternatives
- Side plank
- Side plank with leg lift
- Side plank with hip dip
- Side plank with reach under
- Side plank with knee tuck