Lateral Side Plank
This exercise involves lying on your side and propping yourself up on your forearm, lifting your hips off the ground to create a straight line from your head to your feet. It primarily targets the oblique muscles on the side of your body that is lifted off the ground.
Lateral Side Plank Instructions
- Start by lying on your side with your legs straight and your elbow directly under your shoulder.
- Lift your hips off the ground, creating a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds, or as long as you can maintain proper form.
- Lower your hips back down to the ground and repeat on the other side.
- Complete 2-3 sets on each side.
Lateral Side Plank Form & Visual
Lateral Side Plank Benefits
- Strengthens the oblique muscles on the side of the body
- Improves core stability and balance
- Helps to prevent lower back pain by strengthening the muscles that support the spine
- Increases shoulder and hip mobility
- Can be modified to challenge different fitness levels
Lateral Side Plank Muscles Worked
- Transverse Abdominis
- Gluteus Medius
- Tensor Fasciae Latae
Lateral Side Plank Variations & Alternatives
- Side Plank with Leg Lift
- Side Plank with Hip Dip
- Side Plank with Arm Reach
- Side Plank with Knee Tuck
- Side Plank with Oblique Crunch