The Twist Squat is a lower body exercise that targets the quads, glutes, and core. It involves performing a squat while twisting the torso to one side, then returning to center and repeating on the other side. This exercise can be done with bodyweight or with added resistance.
Twist Squat Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing forward.
- Hold a dumbbell or kettlebell with both hands at chest level.
- Squat down as low as you can while keeping your back straight and your chest up.
- As you come up from the squat, twist your torso to the right and lift the weight up and over your right shoulder.
- Lower the weight back to your chest as you squat down again.
- As you come up from the squat, twist your torso to the left and lift the weight up and over your left shoulder.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Twist Squat Form & Visual
Twist Squat Benefits
- Strengthens the lower body muscles, including the glutes, quads, and hamstrings
- Improves balance and stability
- Engages the core muscles for added abdominal strength
- Increases flexibility in the hips and lower back
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and abilities
- Provides a full-body workout in one exercise
Twist Squat Muscles Worked