This exercise involves lying on one side of the body and propping oneself up on the forearm, with the body forming a straight line from head to feet. It primarily targets the oblique muscles and helps improve core stability and balance.
Side Plank Instructions
- Start by lying on your side with your legs straight and your elbow directly under your shoulder.
- Lift your hips off the ground, creating a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or as long as you can maintain good form.
- Lower your hips back down to the ground and repeat on the other side.
- Complete 3-5 sets on each side.
Side Plank Form & Visual
Side Plank Benefits
- Strengthens the oblique muscles
- Improves core stability
- Increases hip and glute strength
- Improves balance and coordination
- Can help prevent lower back pain
Side Plank Muscles Worked
- Transverse Abdominis
- Gluteus Medius
- Quadratus Lumborum
Side Plank Variations & Alternatives
- side-plank with leg lift
- side-plank with hip dip
- side-plank with reach under
- side-plank with arm raise
- side-plank with knee tuck