Single Leg Step Up
This exercise involves stepping up onto a raised platform with one leg while keeping the other leg off the ground. It primarily targets the quadriceps, glutes, and hamstrings, and can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty by adjusting the height of the platform or adding weights.
Single Leg Step Up Instructions
- Stand in front of a sturdy bench or step.
- Place one foot on the bench or step, keeping your knee in line with your toes.
- Engage your core and glutes, and lift your body up onto the bench or step by straightening your leg.
- Slowly lower your body back down to the starting position, keeping your foot on the bench or step.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps on one leg before switching to the other leg.
Single Leg Step Up Form & Visual
Single Leg Step Up Benefits
- Improves balance and stability
- Strengthens the lower body, including the glutes, quads, and hamstrings
- Increases hip mobility and flexibility
- Helps prevent knee and ankle injuries by strengthening the surrounding muscles
- Can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty based on fitness level
Single Leg Step Up Muscles Worked
- Calf muscles
- Core muscles