Barbell Clean and Jerk
This exercise involves lifting a barbell from the ground to the shoulders, then pushing it overhead in a single fluid motion. It requires a combination of strength, power, and technique, and is often used in Olympic weightlifting competitions.
Barbell Clean and Jerk Instructions
- Start with the barbell on the ground in front of you, with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing forward.
- Bend down and grip the barbell with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, palms facing down.
- Stand up, keeping your back straight and your arms extended.
- As you stand up, pull the barbell up towards your chest, keeping it close to your body.
- Once the barbell reaches your chest, quickly drop into a squat position, catching the barbell on your shoulders.
- Stand up from the squat position, using the momentum to push the barbell overhead.
- Lock your arms out overhead, with the barbell directly above your head.
- Lower the barbell back down to your shoulders, then drop it back down to the ground.
- Repeat the exercise for the desired number of reps.
Barbell Clean and Jerk Form & Visual
Barbell Clean and Jerk Benefits
- Full body workout
- Improves explosive power and strength
- Increases cardiovascular endurance
- Enhances coordination and balance
- Targets multiple muscle groups including legs, back, shoulders, and arms
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
- Helps with weight loss and muscle gain
- Improves athletic performance in other sports
Barbell Clean and Jerk Muscles Worked
- Lower back
- Upper back