Spine Stretch Forward
Spine Stretch Forward Instructions
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Place your hands on your thighs or shins.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine, sitting up tall.
- Exhale and slowly begin to hinge forward from your hips, keeping your spine long.
- As you hinge forward, reach your hands towards your feet or ankles, keeping your shoulders relaxed.
- Hold the stretch for a few breaths, feeling the stretch in your hamstrings and lower back.
- To come out of the stretch, inhale and slowly roll up through your spine, stacking each vertebrae on top of the other.
Spine Stretch Forward Form & Visual
Spine Stretch Forward Benefits
- Improves hip and ankle mobility
- Increases range of motion in the squat
- Reduces risk of injury during squatting exercises
- Improves overall lower body strength and stability
- Can improve posture and alignment
Spine Stretch Forward Muscles Worked
- Lower back
Spine Stretch Forward Variations & Alternatives
- Spine stretch backward
- Spine twist
- Seated forward fold
- Standing forward fold
- Downward facing dog