The side crunch is an abdominal exercise that targets the oblique muscles. It involves lying on your side and lifting your upper body towards your hip while contracting your oblique muscles. This exercise helps to strengthen and tone the waistline.
Side Crunch Instructions
- Start by lying on your right side with your legs extended and your left leg stacked on top of your right leg.
- Place your right hand on the ground in front of you for support and your left hand behind your head.
- Engage your core and lift your shoulders off the ground while simultaneously lifting your left leg towards your left elbow.
- Hold for a second and then slowly lower back down to the starting position.
- Complete the desired number of repetitions on your right side before switching to your left side and repeating the exercise.
Side Crunch Form & Visual
Side Crunch Benefits
- Targets the oblique muscles, which are responsible for twisting and rotating the torso
- Helps to tone and strengthen the abdominal muscles
- Improves core stability and balance
- Can be done without any equipment, making it a convenient exercise to do at home or on-the-go
- Variations of the side crunch can be done to increase or decrease the intensity of the exercise
Side Crunch Muscles Worked
- Rectus Abdominis
- Transverse Abdominis
Side Crunch Variations & Alternatives
- Oblique Side Crunch
- Weighted Side Crunch
- Side Plank Crunch
- Side-to-Side Crunch
- Side Plank Hip Lift and Crunch