Flutter kicks are a core exercise that involves lying on your back and alternating kicking your legs up and down in a rapid, fluttering motion. This exercise targets the lower abs, hip flexors, and quads, and can be modified to increase or decrease intensity.
Flutter Kicks Instructions
- Start by lying flat on your back with your arms at your sides.
- Lift your legs off the ground about six inches and keep them straight.
- Alternate lifting each leg up and down in a fluttering motion, keeping your legs straight and close to the ground.
- Continue fluttering your legs for the desired amount of reps or time.
- Remember to engage your core and keep your lower back pressed into the ground throughout the exercise.
Flutter Kicks Form & Visual
Flutter Kicks Benefits
- Strengthens the lower abs and hip flexors
- Improves core stability and balance
- Increases endurance and stamina
- Can be done anywhere without equipment
- Low impact exercise that is easy on the joints
Flutter Kicks Muscles Worked
- Rectus abdominis
- Transverse abdominis
- Hip flexors
Flutter Kicks Variations & Alternatives
- Scissor Kicks
- Reverse Flutter Kicks
- Butterfly Kicks
- Vertical Flutter Kicks
- Single Leg Flutter Kicks