Barbell Squat Instructions
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Place the barbell on your upper back, resting it on your traps and shoulders.
- Grasp the barbell with both hands, keeping your elbows pointing down and your wrists straight.
- Inhale and brace your core, then lower your body by bending at the knees and hips.
- Keep your chest up and your back straight as you descend, and make sure your knees track over your toes.
- Lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the ground, or as low as you can comfortably go.
- Exhale and push through your heels to stand back up, keeping your core tight and your back straight.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Barbell Squat Form & Visual
Barbell Squat Benefits
- Strengthens and tones the calf muscles
- Improves ankle stability and balance
- Increases lower leg endurance
- Can be easily modified for different fitness levels
- Targets the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles
Barbell Squat Muscles Worked
Barbell Squat Variations & Alternatives
- front barbell squat
- back barbell squat
- overhead barbell squat
- single-leg barbell squat
- sumo barbell squat