Barbell Overhead Squat
This exercise involves holding a barbell overhead while performing a squat. It requires a great deal of core and shoulder stability, as well as leg strength and flexibility. It is a challenging exercise that can improve overall strength and mobility.
Barbell Overhead Squat Instructions
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Hold the barbell with both hands, palms facing up, and raise it above your head until your arms are fully extended.
- Engage your core and lower your body into a squat position, keeping your back straight and your knees in line with your toes.
- As you lower your body, keep the barbell stable above your head and maintain a straight line from your hands to your shoulders.
- Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the ground, then push back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Barbell Overhead Squat Form & Visual
Barbell Overhead Squat Benefits
- Improves overall strength and stability in the lower body, core, and upper body
- Increases flexibility and mobility in the hips, ankles, and shoulders
- Enhances balance and coordination
- Engages multiple muscle groups at once, leading to a more efficient workout
- Can help improve posture and alignment
- Challenges the mind-body connection and requires focus and concentration
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
Barbell Overhead Squat Muscles Worked
Barbell Overhead Squat Variations & Alternatives
- Dumbbell Overhead Squat
- Kettlebell Overhead Squat
- Single Arm Overhead Squat
- Front Squat
- Back Squat
- Zercher Squat
- Overhead Press