This exercise is a variation of the traditional squat that uses a Smith machine. The barbell is fixed on a track, allowing for a more controlled movement and potentially heavier weights to be lifted. It targets the lower body muscles, including the quads, glutes, and hamstrings.
Smith Squat Instructions
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Hold a barbell across your upper back, resting it on your traps.
- Engage your core and keep your chest up as you begin to lower your body down into a squat.
- Bend your knees and push your hips back as if you were sitting down in a chair.
- Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Pause for a moment, then push through your heels to stand back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Smith Squat Form & Visual
Smith Squat Benefits
- Targets multiple muscle groups including quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves
- Allows for a controlled range of motion and proper form with the assistance of the Smith machine
- Can be easily modified for different fitness levels by adjusting the weight or depth of the squat
- Improves overall lower body strength and power
- May also improve core stability and balance
Smith Squat Muscles Worked