Barbell Zercher Squat
This exercise involves holding a barbell in the crook of your elbows and squatting down, targeting your quads, glutes, and core muscles. It can be a challenging variation of the traditional squat and requires proper form and technique to avoid injury.
Barbell Zercher Squat Instructions
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Place the barbell on the ground in front of you and position yourself so that the bar is in the crook of your elbows.
- Grasp the bar with both hands and lift it up to your chest, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Bend your knees and lower your hips down and back as if you were sitting in a chair.
- Keep your chest up and your back straight as you descend into the squat.
- Lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the ground or lower if you can.
- Push through your heels and stand back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Barbell Zercher Squat Form & Visual
Barbell Zercher Squat Benefits
- Targets multiple muscle groups including quads, glutes, hamstrings, and core
- Improves overall lower body strength and power
- Increases grip strength and forearm endurance
- Can be used as a variation to traditional back squats
- Allows for a more upright torso position, reducing strain on the lower back
Barbell Zercher Squat Muscles Worked
- Upper back