45 Side Bend
This exercise involves standing with feet shoulder-width apart and holding a weight in one hand. The weight is then lowered towards the side of the body, bending at the waist, and then lifted back up to a standing position. This exercise targets the oblique muscles on the side of the body.
45 Side Bend Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Place your right hand on your hip and raise your left arm straight up above your head.
- Slowly bend your torso to the right, keeping your left arm straight and your hand reaching towards the right side of your body.
- Hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds, feeling the stretch in your left side.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side, placing your left hand on your hip and raising your right arm above your head.
- Repeat the exercise for 10-15 repetitions on each side.
45 Side Bend Form & Visual
45 Side Bend Benefits
- Strengthens the oblique muscles on the sides of the abdomen
- Improves posture and balance
- Increases flexibility in the spine and hips
- May help alleviate lower back pain
- Can be done with or without weights for added resistance
45 Side Bend Muscles Worked
- External obliques
- Internal obliques
- Transverse abdominis
- Erector spinae
- Quadratus lumborum
45 Side Bend Variations & Alternatives
- 45 Side Bend with Dumbbell
- 45 Side Bend with Kettlebell
- 45 Side Bend with Resistance Band
- 45 Side Bend on Stability Ball
- 45 Side Bend with Barbell