This exercise involves standing with one leg forward and one leg back, bending the front knee and extending the back leg, while reaching the arms up and out to the sides. It is a yoga pose that strengthens the legs, stretches the hips and thighs, and improves balance and focus.
Warrior Pose Instructions
- Stand at the top of your mat with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Step your left foot back about 3-4 feet, turning your left foot out at a 45-degree angle.
- Bend your right knee, keeping it directly over your ankle, and sink your hips down towards the floor.
- Extend your arms out to the sides, parallel to the floor, with your palms facing down.
- Gaze over your right fingertips and hold for several breaths.
- To come out of the pose, straighten your right leg and step your left foot forward to meet your right foot.
- Repeat on the other side, stepping your right foot back and bending your left knee.
Warrior Pose Form & Visual
Warrior Pose Benefits
- Strengthens the upper body, particularly the back, biceps, and shoulders
- Improves grip strength
- Increases overall body control and stability
- Can help improve posture
- Can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty
- Can be done with minimal equipment
Warrior Pose Muscles Worked
- Back muscles