Smith Shoulder Press
This exercise involves lifting a barbell or dumbbells from shoulder height to overhead, while keeping the core engaged and maintaining proper form. It primarily targets the shoulders, but also engages the triceps and upper back muscles. The Smith machine provides stability and support during the movement.
Smith Shoulder Press Instructions
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height, with your palms facing forward.
- Engage your core and keep your back straight as you exhale and press the dumbbells up above your head, fully extending your arms.
- Inhale as you slowly lower the dumbbells back down to shoulder height, keeping your elbows slightly bent.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Smith Shoulder Press Form & Visual
Smith Shoulder Press Benefits
- Strengthens the shoulder muscles
- Improves shoulder stability
- Increases upper body strength
- Improves posture
- Can help prevent shoulder injuries
Smith Shoulder Press Muscles Worked
- Rotator Cuff
Smith Shoulder Press Variations & Alternatives
- Arnold Press
- Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
- Push Press
- Single Arm Dumbbell Shoulder Press