Smith Hip Thrust
This exercise involves lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground, while lifting your hips up towards the ceiling using a barbell placed on a Smith machine. It primarily targets the glutes and hamstrings.
Smith Hip Thrust Instructions
- Start by sitting on the ground with your back against a bench or box and your feet flat on the floor.
- Position the barbell on your hips and hold it in place with your hands.
- Engage your glutes and lift your hips up towards the ceiling, keeping your feet flat on the ground.
- Pause at the top of the movement and squeeze your glutes.
- Lower your hips back down to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of reps.
Smith Hip Thrust Form & Visual
Smith Hip Thrust Benefits
- Targets glutes, hamstrings, and lower back muscles
- Improves hip extension and overall lower body strength
- Can help prevent lower back pain and injury
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
- Can be done with or without weights for added resistance
Smith Hip Thrust Muscles Worked
- Erector Spinae
Smith Hip Thrust Variations & Alternatives
- Single-leg Smith Hip Thrust
- Smith Hip Thrust with resistance band
- Smith Hip Thrust with barbell
- Smith Hip Thrust with dumbbells
- Smith Hip Thrust with kettlebell