Rounded Back Extension
This exercise involves lying face down on a mat or bench and lifting the upper body off the ground while keeping the arms and legs straight. The goal is to engage the muscles in the lower back and glutes to lift the torso as high as possible without straining the neck or shoulders. The rounded back extension variation involves curling the upper body forward slightly before lifting it up, which can increase the stretch in the lower back.
Rounded Back Extension Instructions
- Start by lying face down on a mat or flat surface with your hands placed behind your head.
- Engage your core muscles and lift your chest off the ground, keeping your neck in a neutral position.
- As you lift your chest, round your upper back and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then slowly lower your chest back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions, or as many as you can comfortably perform.
Rounded Back Extension Form & Visual
Rounded Back Extension Benefits
- Strengthens the lower back muscles
- Improves posture by targeting the muscles responsible for spinal extension
- Helps prevent lower back pain by increasing spinal stability
- Can be done with minimal equipment, making it a convenient exercise to do at home or while traveling
- May also engage the glutes and hamstrings, providing additional benefits for these muscle groups
Rounded Back Extension Muscles Worked
- Erector Spinae
- Gluteus Maximus