This exercise involves standing with feet hip-width apart, then bending forward and placing hands on the ground while walking them forward until the body forms a triangle shape. It stretches the hamstrings, calves, and spine while also strengthening the arms and shoulders.
Pyramid Pose Instructions
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, fold forward from your hips, keeping your spine straight.
- Place your hands on the ground, shoulder-width apart, with your fingertips in line with your toes.
- Step your left foot back, keeping your left heel lifted and your toes pointing slightly outwards.
- Press your right heel down into the ground and straighten your right leg as much as possible.
- Engage your thigh muscles and draw your kneecaps up towards your hips.
- Press your hands firmly into the ground and lift your hips up towards the ceiling.
- Lengthen your spine and gaze towards your navel.
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths, then release and repeat on the other side.
Pyramid Pose Form & Visual
Pyramid Pose Benefits
- Improves agility and coordination
- Increases foot speed and reaction time
- Enhances cardiovascular endurance
- Burns calories and aids in weight loss
- Can be done anywhere with minimal equipment
- Helps to prevent injuries by strengthening lower body muscles
Pyramid Pose Muscles Worked
- Spinal erectors
Pyramid Pose Variations & Alternatives
- Extended pyramid pose
- Revolved pyramid pose
- Pyramid pose with a twist
- Pyramid pose with a bind
- Low pyramid pose
- High pyramid pose
- Warrior III pyramid pose
- Pyramid pose with a quad stretch
- Pyramid pose with a side stretch