Perform a strength exercise where the individual hangs from a bar and pulls their body up until their chin is above the bar, then lowers back down. This exercise primarily targets the muscles in the back, shoulders, and arms.
Pull Up Instructions
- Find a sturdy pull-up bar that can support your weight.
- Stand underneath the bar and reach up to grab it with both hands, palms facing away from you and hands shoulder-width apart.
- Hang from the bar with your arms fully extended and your feet off the ground.
- Engage your core and pull your shoulder blades down and back.
- Bend your elbows and pull your chest towards the bar, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Continue pulling until your chin is above the bar.
- Pause briefly at the top of the movement, then slowly lower yourself back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired number of reps.
Pull Up Form & Visual
Pull Up Benefits
- Strengthens upper body muscles, including back, shoulders, and arms
- Improves grip strength
- Increases overall body strength and endurance
- Helps improve posture and reduce back pain
- Can be done with minimal equipment and in various locations
Pull Up Muscles Worked
- Latissimus dorsi
- Biceps brachii
- Forearm muscles