The mountain climber exercise is a high-intensity cardio and core workout that involves bringing your knees towards your chest while in a plank position. It targets multiple muscle groups including the abs, shoulders, and legs, and can be modified for different fitness levels.
Mountain Climber Instructions
- Start in a plank position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Engage your core and bring your right knee towards your chest, keeping your foot off the ground.
- Quickly switch and bring your left knee towards your chest while extending your right leg back to the starting position.
- Continue alternating legs, moving as quickly as possible while maintaining proper form.
- Complete 3 sets of 30 seconds each, with a 10 second rest in between sets.
Mountain Climber Form & Visual
Mountain Climber Benefits
- Increases cardiovascular endurance
- Improves core strength and stability
- Works multiple muscle groups including shoulders, chest, triceps, abs, and legs
- Can be done anywhere with no equipment needed
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
Mountain Climber Muscles Worked
- Rectus abdominis
- Hip flexors
Mountain Climber Variations & Alternatives
- Mountain Climber with a Twist
- Reverse Mountain Climber
- Single Leg Mountain Climber
- Spiderman Mountain Climber
- Side-to-Side Mountain Climber