Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose
A yoga pose where one leg is extended to the side while the other leg is bent, with the torso twisted towards the extended leg and the arm reaching towards the foot. This pose helps to stretch the hips, hamstrings, and spine while also building strength in the legs and core.
Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose Instructions
- Begin in a standing position with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step your left foot back about 3-4 feet and turn it out at a 45-degree angle.
- Bend your right knee so that it is directly over your ankle, making sure your knee does not go past your toes.
- Extend your left arm up towards the ceiling and then bring it down to rest on your left thigh.
- Reach your right arm over your head towards the left side of the room, keeping your shoulders stacked on top of each other.
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths, then release and repeat on the other side.
Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose Form & Visual
Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose Benefits
- Strengthens and stretches the legs, hips, and spine
- Opens the chest and shoulders
- Improves balance and stability
- Stimulates digestion and relieves constipation
- Can help alleviate menstrual discomfort
- Calms the mind and reduces stress
Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose Muscles Worked
- Back muscles
- Chest muscles
- Shoulder muscles
Extended Side Angle Yoga Pose Variations & Alternatives
- Revolved Extended Side Angle Pose
- Bound Extended Side Angle Pose
- Half Bound Lotus Extended Side Angle Pose
- Twisted Extended Side Angle Pose
- Warrior II Pose