Cable Wide Pulldown
This exercise involves using a cable machine to perform a wide grip pulldown, targeting the back muscles, specifically the latissimus dorsi. The movement involves pulling the cable down towards the chest while keeping the elbows wide and squeezing the shoulder blades together.
Cable Wide Pulldown Instructions
- Adjust the cable pulley to the highest position on the machine.
- Attach a wide grip bar to the cable pulley.
- Stand facing the machine and grab the bar with both hands using an overhand grip.
- Step back a few feet from the machine, keeping your arms extended and your back straight.
- Inhale and pull the bar down towards your chest, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Pause for a moment at the bottom of the movement, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Exhale and slowly release the bar back to the starting position, keeping your arms extended.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Cable Wide Pulldown Form & Visual
Cable Wide Pulldown Benefits
- Targets the latissimus dorsi, which is the largest muscle in the back and helps with overall upper body strength and posture
- Engages the biceps and forearms as secondary muscles, leading to improved grip strength
- Allows for a greater range of motion compared to traditional pull-ups or chin-ups
- Can be easily modified for different fitness levels by adjusting the weight or using different grip attachments
- Helps to improve overall upper body muscle definition and tone
Cable Wide Pulldown Muscles Worked
- Latissimus dorsi
Cable Wide Pulldown Variations & Alternatives
- Close Grip Cable Pulldown
- Reverse Grip Cable Pulldown
- Single Arm Cable Pulldown
- Assisted Pull-up Machine
- Lat Pulldown Machine