This exercise involves standing with feet shoulder-width apart and twisting the torso to one side while keeping the hips facing forward, then twisting to the other side. It targets the oblique muscles and can be done with or without weights.
Side Twist Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms extended out to the sides at shoulder height.
- Twist your torso to the right, bringing your left hand across your body to touch your right hand.
- Return to the starting position and then twist your torso to the left, bringing your right hand across your body to touch your left hand.
- Repeat this twisting motion for the desired number of repetitions.
Side Twist Form & Visual
Side Twist Benefits
- Improves hip mobility and flexibility
- Stretches the inner and outer thighs
- Activates the glutes and hip muscles
- Helps to prevent injury in the hips and lower back
- Can be done as a warm-up or cool-down exercise
Side Twist Muscles Worked
- Transverse Abdominis
- Erector Spinae
- Quadratus Lumborum
Side Twist Variations & Alternatives
- Side plank with twist
- Standing side twist with weight
- Seated Russian twist
- Oblique crunches