The runners stretch is a stretching exercise that targets the hamstrings, calves, and lower back. It involves standing with one foot in front of the other and bending forward at the hips to reach towards the ground. The stretch can be modified by bending the back knee or using a prop such as a block or chair.
Runners Stretch Instructions
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step your right foot forward, keeping your left foot in place.
- Bend your right knee and shift your weight forward, keeping your left leg straight.
- Place your hands on your right thigh for support.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Release and switch sides, stepping your left foot forward and repeating the stretch on your left leg.
Runners Stretch Form & Visual
Runners Stretch Benefits
- Increases flexibility in the hamstrings, calves, and hips
- Improves posture and alignment
- Reduces risk of injury in the lower body
- Relieves tension in the lower back and hips
- Improves circulation and oxygen flow to the muscles
Runners Stretch Muscles Worked
Runners Stretch Variations & Alternatives
- Standing Runners Stretch
- Seated Runners Stretch
- Lunge Runners Stretch
- Wall Runners Stretch
- Partner Runners Stretch