This exercise involves lifting a barbell from the ground to the shoulders in one fluid motion, using explosive power from the legs and hips. It is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups, including the legs, back, shoulders, and arms. It is commonly used in weightlifting and CrossFit training programs.
Power Clean Instructions
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart and the barbell on the ground in front of you.
- Bend down and grip the bar with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your back straight and lift the bar off the ground, extending your legs and hips.
- As the bar reaches your mid-thigh, explosively pull it up towards your shoulders, keeping it close to your body.
- As the bar reaches your shoulders, quickly drop into a squat position and catch the bar on your shoulders, with your elbows pointing forward.
- Stand up from the squat position, keeping the bar on your shoulders.
- Lower the bar back down to the ground by reversing the movement, bending your knees and hips and keeping your back straight.
Power Clean Form & Visual
Power Clean Benefits
- Improves explosive power and speed
- Targets multiple muscle groups including the legs, back, shoulders, and arms
- Increases overall strength and muscle mass
- Improves coordination and balance
- Enhances athletic performance in sports such as football, basketball, and track and field
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
Power Clean Muscles Worked
- Lower back
- Upper back
Power Clean Variations & Alternatives
- Hang Power Clean
- Power Clean from Blocks
- Power Clean from High Blocks
- Power Clean from Hang
- Power Clean from Knee
- Power Clean from Mid-Thigh
- Power Clean from Power Position
- Power Clean from Shin
- Power Clean from Floor
- Power Clean and Jerk