Dumbbell Seated External Rotation
Dumbbell Seated External Rotation Instructions
- Start by sitting on a bench with your feet flat on the ground and your back straight.
- Hold a dumbbell in your right hand and place your right elbow on the inside of your right thigh, with your forearm perpendicular to the ground.
- Rotate your right shoulder outward, keeping your elbow and forearm in the same position.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions, then switch to your left arm and repeat the exercise.
Dumbbell Seated External Rotation Form & Visual
Dumbbell Seated External Rotation Benefits
- Targets the shoulders, specifically the front and side deltoids
- Improves shoulder stability and mobility
- Engages the core muscles for stability
- Can be done with a variety of weights to increase or decrease intensity
- Can be modified for individuals with shoulder injuries or limitations
Dumbbell Seated External Rotation Muscles Worked
- Rotator cuff muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis)
- Deltoid (posterior)
- Trapezius (middle and lower fibers)
Dumbbell Seated External Rotation Variations & Alternatives
- dumbbell standing external rotation
- dumbbell lying external rotation
- cable seated external rotation
- cable standing external rotation
- band seated external rotation
- band standing external rotation