This exercise involves lying on a bench and holding a dumbbell with both hands, then lowering the weight behind your head and stretching your chest and shoulders before bringing the weight back up to the starting position. It primarily targets the chest, back, and shoulder muscles.
Dumbbell Pullover Instructions
- Start by lying flat on a bench with your feet firmly planted on the ground and your head hanging slightly off the edge of the bench.
- Hold a dumbbell with both hands and extend your arms straight up above your chest.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell behind your head, keeping your arms straight and your elbows slightly bent.
- Pause for a moment, then slowly raise the dumbbell back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Dumbbell Pullover Form & Visual
Dumbbell Pullover Benefits
- Targets multiple muscle groups including the chest, back, and triceps
- Improves upper body strength and endurance
- Increases flexibility in the shoulders and chest
- Can help improve posture by strengthening the upper back muscles
- Can be performed with a variety of equipment, including dumbbells, barbells, and cables
- Can be modified to target specific muscle groups or accommodate different fitness levels
Dumbbell Pullover Muscles Worked
- Pectoralis Major
- Latissimus Dorsi
- Triceps Brachii
- Serratus Anterior
Dumbbell Pullover Variations & Alternatives
- Barbell Pullover
- Cable Pullover
- Machine Pullover
- Single Arm Dumbbell Pullover
- Decline Dumbbell Pullover
- Seated Dumbbell Pullover
- Standing Dumbbell Pullover
- Swiss Ball Dumbbell Pullover