This exercise involves using a cable machine to perform tricep pushdowns. The cable is attached to a high pulley and the individual uses a straight bar or rope attachment to push the cable down towards their thighs, engaging their tricep muscles.
Cable Pushdown Instructions
- Attach a straight bar to the high pulley of a cable machine.
- Stand facing the machine with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip, with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your elbows close to your sides, exhale and push the bar down until your arms are fully extended.
- Hold for a moment, then inhale and slowly return the bar to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Cable Pushdown Form & Visual
Cable Pushdown Benefits
- Targets the triceps muscles, helping to build strength and size in the arms
- Can be easily adjusted to target different areas of the triceps by changing the grip or the angle of the cable
- Isolation exercise that helps to prevent other muscles from compensating for weak triceps
- Can be performed with a variety of equipment, including cables, bands, or a machine
- Can be easily modified for different fitness levels by adjusting the weight or reps
- Helps to improve overall upper body strength and stability
Cable Pushdown Muscles Worked
- Triceps brachii
Cable Pushdown Variations & Alternatives
- Reverse Grip Cable Pushdown
- Single Arm Cable Pushdown
- Overhead Cable Tricep Extension
- V-Bar Cable Pushdown
- Rope Cable Pushdown
- Close Grip Cable Pushdown
- Underhand Cable Pushdown
- Wide Grip Cable Pushdown
- Standing Cable Tricep Extension
- Seated Cable Tricep Extension