Band Kickback Instructions
- Start by attaching an ankle cuff to a low cable pulley and strapping it around your ankle.
- Stand facing the cable machine with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Grab the cable with both hands and bring it towards your chest, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Extend your right leg back, keeping it straight, until your foot is a few inches off the ground.
- Slowly kick your right foot back as far as you can, squeezing your glutes at the top of the movement.
- Lower your leg back down to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of reps.
- Switch sides and repeat the exercise with your left leg.
Band Kickback Form & Visual
Band Kickback Benefits
- Targets the glutes and hamstrings
- Helps improve hip extension and stability
- Can be done with minimal equipment (just a resistance band)
- Can be easily modified to increase or decrease resistance
- Can be incorporated into a full body workout or used as a standalone exercise
Band Kickback Muscles Worked
- Gluteus maximus
Band Kickback Variations & Alternatives
- Single-leg band kickback
- Standing band kickback
- Seated band kickback
- Side-lying band kickback
- Reverse band kickback