This exercise involves standing with a barbell in front of you, gripping it with an overhand grip, and lifting it up towards your shoulders while shrugging your shoulders up towards your ears. It primarily targets the trapezius muscles in the upper back.
Smith Shrug Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body.
- Slowly raise your shoulders up towards your ears, keeping your arms straight.
- Hold the position for a few seconds, then slowly lower your shoulders back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Smith Shrug Form & Visual
Smith Shrug Benefits
- Strengthens the trapezius muscles in the upper back and shoulders
- Improves posture and reduces the risk of neck and shoulder pain
- Increases grip strength and forearm endurance
- Can be done with dumbbells or a barbell for added resistance
- Targets a specific muscle group, allowing for targeted muscle growth and development
Smith Shrug Muscles Worked
- Levator Scapulae