This exercise involves holding a dumbbell in each hand and shrugging your shoulders up towards your ears, then lowering them back down. It primarily targets the trapezius muscles in the upper back and can help improve posture and shoulder stability.
Dumbbell Shrug Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your arms straight by your sides.
- Slowly lift your shoulders up towards your ears, squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
- Hold for a second, then slowly lower your shoulders back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Dumbbell Shrug Form & Visual
Dumbbell Shrug Benefits
- Strengthens the trapezius muscles in the upper back and shoulders
- Improves posture and reduces the risk of neck and shoulder pain
- Increases grip strength and forearm endurance
- Can be done with a variety of weights and equipment, making it accessible for all fitness levels
- Isolates the targeted muscles, allowing for focused and effective training
Dumbbell Shrug Muscles Worked
- Levator Scapulae