Dumbbell Standing Kickback
This exercise involves standing with a dumbbell in one hand and kicking the same leg back while keeping the arm straight and lifting the weight. It primarily targets the triceps and can also engage the core and glutes for stability.
Dumbbell Standing Kickback Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in your right hand.
- Bend your knees slightly and hinge forward at the hips, keeping your back straight.
- Bring your right elbow up to your side, keeping your arm bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Extend your right arm back behind you, straightening it out as far as you can.
- Pause for a moment, then slowly lower the weight back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps, then switch sides and repeat with your left arm.
Dumbbell Standing Kickback Form & Visual
Dumbbell Standing Kickback Benefits
- Targets the triceps muscles, helping to tone and strengthen the back of the arms
- Improves overall arm definition and can help to reduce the appearance of “bat wings”
- Engages the core muscles for added stability and balance
- Can be done with a variety of weights to increase or decrease the intensity of the exercise
- Requires minimal equipment and can be done at home or in the gym
Dumbbell Standing Kickback Muscles Worked
- Rear Deltoids
- Upper Back
Dumbbell Standing Kickback Variations & Alternatives
- Dumbbell Standing Tricep Extension
- Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension
- Cable Standing Tricep Pushdown
- Cable Overhead Tricep Extension
- Resistance Band Tricep Kickback