Dumbbell Side Lunge
The dumbbell side lunge is a lower body exercise that targets the glutes, quads, and hamstrings. It involves stepping to the side with one leg while keeping the other leg straight, then bending the knee of the stepping leg and lowering the dumbbell towards the ground. The exercise is typically performed for multiple reps on each side.
Dumbbell Side Lunge Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Take a big step to the right with your right foot, keeping your left foot in place.
- Bend your right knee and push your hips back as you lower your body into a lunge position.
- Keep your left leg straight and your left foot flat on the ground.
- Push through your right foot to return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side by stepping to the left with your left foot.
- Complete 10-12 reps on each side for 3-4 sets.
Dumbbell Side Lunge Form & Visual
Dumbbell Side Lunge Benefits
- Targets multiple muscle groups including the glutes, quads, hamstrings, and inner thighs
- Improves balance and stability
- Increases lower body strength and power
- Can be modified for different fitness levels by adjusting the weight of the dumbbells
- Provides a cardiovascular workout by elevating the heart rate
Dumbbell Side Lunge Muscles Worked
- Core muscles for stability
Dumbbell Side Lunge Variations & Alternatives
- Dumbbell reverse lunge
- Dumbbell front lunge
- Dumbbell walking lunge
- Dumbbell curtsy lunge
- Dumbbell step-up