This exercise involves starting on all fours and then lifting the hips up and back, creating an inverted V-shape with the body. The arms and legs remain straight, and the head is tucked in towards the ground. It is a yoga pose that helps to stretch the shoulders, hamstrings, and calves while also strengthening the arms and core.
Dolphin Pose Instructions
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- Walk your hands forward a few inches and curl your toes under.
- As you exhale, lift your hips up and back, straightening your legs and coming into an inverted V-shape.
- Spread your fingers wide and press your hands firmly into the ground.
- Engage your core and lengthen through your spine.
- Press your heels down toward the ground and relax your head and neck.
- Hold the pose for several breaths, then release by lowering your knees to the ground.
Dolphin Pose Form & Visual
Dolphin Pose Benefits
- Improves agility and coordination
- Increases cardiovascular endurance
- Enhances footwork and balance
- Develops reaction time and speed
- Can be done with minimal equipment and space
- Can be modified for different skill levels and fitness goals
Dolphin Pose Muscles Worked
- Upper back
Dolphin Pose Variations & Alternatives
- Extended Dolphin Pose
- One-Legged Dolphin Pose
- Forearm Stand Dolphin Pose
- Side Plank Dolphin Pose
- Downward-Facing Dog Dolphin Pose