Bow Yoga Pose
This exercise involves standing with your feet hip-width apart, bending forward at the waist, and reaching your arms behind you to grab onto your ankles. You then lift your chest and legs off the ground, creating a bow shape with your body. This pose helps to stretch the front of the body and strengthen the back muscles.
Bow Yoga Pose Instructions
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Take a deep breath in and lift your arms up overhead.
- Exhale and bend your knees, lowering your hips down into a squat position.
- Bring your hands together in front of your chest and press your elbows against your inner thighs.
- Inhale and lift your chest up, lengthening your spine.
- Exhale and lean forward, bringing your weight onto your toes.
- Extend your arms forward and lift your left leg up behind you, keeping your hips level.
- Reach back with your right hand and grasp your left ankle or foot.
- Hold the pose for several breaths, then release and repeat on the other side.
Bow Yoga Pose Form & Visual
Bow Yoga Pose Benefits
- Stretches the hips, thighs, and ankles
- Strengthens the back muscles
- Improves posture and balance
- Stimulates the abdominal organs and improves digestion
- Relieves stress and fatigue
Bow Yoga Pose Muscles Worked
- Back muscles (erector spinae, rhomboids, trapezius)
- Chest muscles (pectoralis major, minor)
- Shoulder muscles (deltoids)
Bow Yoga Pose Variations & Alternatives
- Half Bow Pose
- Full Bow Pose
- Standing Bow Pose
- Revolved Half Bow Pose
- Revolved Full Bow Pose
- One-Legged King Pigeon Pose III (variation of Bow Pose)