This exercise is a lower body strength exercise that targets the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. It involves balancing on one leg while lowering down into a squat position with the other leg extended behind the body.
Shrimp Squat Instructions
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Lift your right foot off the ground and extend it forward, keeping your toes pointed.
- Bend your left knee and lower your body down towards the ground, keeping your right leg extended in front of you.
- Lower your body as far as you can, keeping your left knee behind your toes and your right foot off the ground.
- Push through your left heel to stand back up to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side, lifting your left foot off the ground and extending it forward.
- Complete 10-12 reps on each leg for 3-4 sets.
Shrimp Squat Form & Visual
Shrimp Squat Benefits
- Improves balance and stability
- Strengthens the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves
- Increases ankle mobility and flexibility
- Engages the core muscles for improved posture and spinal alignment
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
Shrimp Squat Muscles Worked
Shrimp Squat Variations & Alternatives
- Shrimp Lunge
- Shrimp Squat with Dumbbell
- Shrimp Squat with Kettlebell
- Shrimp Squat with Barbell
- Shrimp Squat with Resistance Band
- Shrimp Squat with TRX Suspension Trainer
- Shrimp Squat with Bosu Ball
- Shrimp Squat with Stability Ball
- Shrimp Squat with Medicine Ball