This exercise involves lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. You then lift your shoulders off the ground and bring your knees towards your chest, contracting your abs. The movement is slow and controlled, with a focus on engaging the core muscles.
Negative Crunch Instructions
- Start by lying flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Place your hands behind your head, with your elbows pointing out to the sides.
- Engage your core muscles by pulling your belly button towards your spine.
- Slowly lift your shoulders off the ground, keeping your lower back pressed into the floor.
- Hold the crunch for a few seconds, then slowly lower your shoulders back down to the ground.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Negative Crunch Form & Visual
Negative Crunch Benefits
- Targets the rectus abdominis muscle, which is responsible for the “six-pack” look
- Increases core strength and stability
- Improves posture and balance
- Can be done without any equipment
- Can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty
Negative Crunch Muscles Worked
- Rectus abdominis
- Transverse abdominis
Negative Crunch Variations & Alternatives
- Reverse Crunch
- Decline Reverse Crunch
- Reverse Crunch with Leg Extension
- Reverse Crunch with Resistance Band
- Reverse Crunch with Stability Ball