Lateral Speed Step
This exercise involves stepping laterally from side to side at a quick pace, using quick and explosive movements to improve agility, balance, and coordination. It is often used in sports training and can be modified to increase or decrease intensity.
Lateral Speed Step Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Take a step to the right with your right foot, keeping your left foot in place.
- Bring your left foot to meet your right foot.
- Take a step to the right with your right foot again.
- Repeat this lateral stepping motion for a set amount of time or repetitions.
Lateral Speed Step Form & Visual
Lateral Speed Step Benefits
- Improves flexibility in the lower back and hamstrings
- Stretches the calves and ankles
- Strengthens the core muscles
- Improves posture
- Relieves tension in the neck and shoulders
- Increases blood flow to the brain, improving focus and concentration
- Can be done anywhere, without any equipment
Lateral Speed Step Muscles Worked
Lateral Speed Step Variations & Alternatives
- lateral speed shuffle
- lateral bounding
- lateral hopscotch
- lateral cone drills
- lateral box jumps