This exercise involves standing on the edge of a step or platform with your heels hanging off the edge, then lowering your heels down towards the ground and lifting them back up. It primarily targets the calf muscles and can help improve ankle stability and strength.
Heel Drops Instructions
- Stand on a raised surface such as a step or a sturdy block with the balls of your feet on the edge and your heels hanging off.
- Slowly lower your heels down towards the ground, feeling a stretch in your calves.
- Hold the stretch for a few seconds, then raise your heels back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.
- For an added challenge, hold a weight in one hand and perform the exercise on one foot at a time.
Heel Drops Form & Visual
Heel Drops Benefits
- Strengthens the calf muscles
- Improves ankle stability
- Helps prevent ankle sprains
- Increases flexibility in the Achilles tendon
- Can be done anywhere with a step or elevated surface
Heel Drops Muscles Worked
Heel Drops Variations & Alternatives
- Single Leg Heel Drops
- Double Leg Heel Drops
- Weighted Heel Drops
- Heel Drops on an Incline
- Heel Drops on a Decline
- Heel Drops with a Resistance Band
- Heel Drops with a Stability Ball
- Heel Drops with a Bosu Ball
- Heel Drops with a Foam Roller