This exercise involves holding a dumbbell with both hands and swinging it between your legs, then using your hips to propel the weight forward and up to shoulder height. It primarily targets the muscles in your hips, glutes, and lower back.
Dumbbell Swing Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell with both hands in front of your body.
- Bend your knees slightly and hinge forward at the hips, keeping your back straight.
- Swing the dumbbell back between your legs, keeping your arms straight.
- Drive your hips forward and swing the dumbbell up to shoulder height, using the momentum from your hips to power the movement.
- Lower the dumbbell back down between your legs and repeat for the desired number of reps.
Dumbbell Swing Form & Visual
Dumbbell Swing Benefits
- Works multiple muscle groups including the shoulders, back, hips, and legs
- Improves cardiovascular endurance and overall fitness
- Increases explosive power and strength in the lower body
- Can be modified for different fitness levels and goals
- Requires minimal equipment and can be done at home or in the gym
Dumbbell Swing Muscles Worked
- Lower back