The Cat Stretch is a yoga pose that involves getting on all fours and arching the back while inhaling, then rounding the spine while exhaling. This exercise helps to stretch and strengthen the spine, improve flexibility, and release tension in the neck and shoulders.
Cat Stretch Instructions
- Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- As you inhale, arch your back and lift your head and tailbone towards the ceiling, allowing your belly to sink towards the floor.
- As you exhale, round your spine and tuck your chin towards your chest, bringing your tailbone towards your knees.
- Repeat this movement, flowing smoothly between the two positions, for several breaths.
- Finish by returning to a neutral spine position.
Cat Stretch Form & Visual
Cat Stretch Benefits
- Improves flexibility and mobility in the spine
- Stretches the muscles in the back, shoulders, and neck
- Relieves tension and stress in the upper body
- Can help alleviate back pain and improve posture
- Increases circulation and blood flow to the spine and surrounding muscles
Cat Stretch Muscles Worked
- Spinal erectors
- Latissimus dorsi
Cat Stretch Variations & Alternatives
- Modified Cat Stretch
- Extended Cat Stretch
- Seated Cat Stretch
- Standing Cat Stretch
- Dynamic Cat Stretch