The Boat Stretch is a yoga pose that involves sitting on the floor with legs extended and lifting the feet and upper body off the ground, creating a "V" shape with the body. This exercise strengthens the core muscles and improves balance and flexibility.
Boat Stretch Instructions
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind you, with your fingers pointing towards your feet.
- Press your hands into the floor and lift your hips up towards the ceiling.
- As you lift your hips, allow your head to fall back and your chest to open up.
- Hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds, then release and lower your hips back down to the floor.
- Repeat the stretch for 2-3 sets, taking a short break in between each set.
Boat Stretch Form & Visual
Boat Stretch Benefits
- Improves flexibility in the hips, lower back, and hamstrings
- Strengthens the core muscles
- Relieves tension in the lower back
- Improves posture and balance
- Can help alleviate stress and anxiety
Boat Stretch Muscles Worked
- Rectus abdominis
- Erector spinae
Boat Stretch Variations & Alternatives
- Boat Pose
- Boat Pose with Leg Lifts
- Boat Pose with Twist
- Half Boat Pose
- Low Boat Pose
- Reverse Boat Pose
- Side Boat Pose
- Superman Pose