This exercise involves standing with one foot planted firmly on the ground while the other leg is lifted and kicked out to the side. It is commonly used in martial arts and fitness routines to improve balance, flexibility, and strength in the legs and hips.
Side Kick Instructions
- Start in a standing position with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Step your right foot back and to the left, so that your feet are now in a staggered stance.
- Bend your knees slightly and shift your weight onto your left foot.
- Bring your right arm up and across your body, as if you were throwing a punch.
- At the same time, lift your right knee up towards your chest.
- Extend your right leg out to the side, as if you were kicking someone with the side of your foot.
- Bring your right leg back in towards your body and lower it back down to the ground.
- Lower your right arm back down to your side.
- Repeat the movement on the other side, stepping your left foot back and to the right.
- Continue alternating sides for the desired number of repetitions.
Side Kick Form & Visual
Side Kick Benefits
- Strengthens the glutes and hip muscles
- Improves balance and stability
- Targets the inner and outer thighs
- Can help alleviate lower back pain
- Can be modified for different fitness levels
Side Kick Muscles Worked
- Hip flexors
Side Kick Variations & Alternatives
- Side leg lift
- Side plank with leg lift
- Side lunge
- Side shuffle
- Side step-up