Dumbbell Lateral Lunge
This exercise involves holding a dumbbell in one hand and stepping to the side with the opposite leg, bending the knee and lowering the body into a lunge position. The exercise targets the glutes, quads, and hamstrings while also engaging the core and improving balance.
Dumbbell Lateral Lunge Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at your sides.
- Take a big step to the right with your right foot, keeping your left foot in place.
- Bend your right knee and push your hips back, lowering your body into a lunge position.
- As you lunge, raise your left arm straight up above your head, keeping your right arm straight down by your side.
- Push through your right foot to return to the starting position, lowering your left arm back down to your side.
- Repeat on the other side, stepping to the left with your left foot and raising your right arm above your head.
- Continue alternating sides for the desired number of repetitions.
Dumbbell Lateral Lunge Form & Visual
Dumbbell Lateral Lunge Benefits
- Targets multiple muscle groups including the glutes, quads, hamstrings, and adductors
- Improves balance and stability
- Increases hip mobility
- Can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty
- Can be done with minimal equipment
Dumbbell Lateral Lunge Muscles Worked
- Core muscles
Dumbbell Lateral Lunge Variations & Alternatives
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunge with Overhead Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunge with Bicep Curl
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunge with Front Raise
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunge with Tricep Extension
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunge with Twist